For the crêpes:
- 200 g plain flour
- 2 free-range or organic eggs, lightly beaten
- 400 ml milk
- 100 g butter, melted
- extra butter to grease pan
- 200 ml mornay sauce (see sauces and sides for recipe)
- 100 g gruyère cheese, grated
- 500 g button mushrooms, finely sliced
- 4 bunches English spinach, stems removed,
- leaves blanched, well drained
- Sea salt and white pepper, to season
To make the crêpes, sift the flour into a bowl, make a well in the centre, add the beaten egg and milk. Mix well with a wooden spoon or whisk until well combined and the mixture is smooth. Slowly drizzle in melted butter, stirring to incorporate.
Place a non-stick frypan over medium heat and add a little butter. Pour ¼ of a cup of the crêpe mixture into the hot pan, swirling the mixture to completely coat the base of the pan. When the edges start to brown, carefully flip the crêpe over to brown the other side. Slide onto a plate and continue with the rest of the crêpe mixture.
To serve, place the crêpes on a clean, dry surface, such as a large chopping board, spread with a couple of tablespoons of mornay sauce, sprinkle with half the grated cheese. Top the crêpes with the sliced mushrooms and drained spinach, season and roll up.Place the filled crêpes in a greased baking tray, cover with the remaining mornay sauce and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese. Place under a hot grill to melt the cheese until golden.