Serves Serves 8
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 250 g good quality chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 80 g butter
- 3 free-range or organic eggs
- 200 g condensed milk
- 1 cup plain yoghurt
For the Mixed Berry Coulis:
- 1/2 punnet each of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries (frozen can also be used)
- 3 teaspoons of icing sugar, sifted
- Good quality vanilla bean ice cream, to serve
Preheat the oven to 170°C (330°F).
Grease 8 soufflé or dariole moulds. This can also be made as a 26 cm round cake.
Into a large bowl, sift all the dry ingredients. Mix to combine.
In a double saucepan or a bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, gently melt the chocolate and butter. Stir until combined and glossy. Cool slightly. Add eggs, condensed milk and yoghurt to the chocolate mixture. Stir well to combine.
Make a well in the dry ingredients, gradually pour in the chocolate/egg mixture, stirring continuously. Pour into the prepared moulds and cook for 20 minutes until the top of the cake is firm to the touch. The inside of the cake should be slightly gooey.
To prepare the mixed berry coulis, place the berries in a food processor or blender. Add the sifted icing sugar, blend until smooth. Strain through a sieve.Turn out onto serving plates. Serve with mixed berry coulis and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.