- 4 free-range or organic eggs
- 100 ml cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split, scraped and seeds set aside
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons clarified butter
- 8 thick slices white wood-fired bread (better to be two to three days old)
- 150 g strawberries, sliced, to serve
- 6 mint leaves, finely sliced (optional)
- 4 tablespoons Bitton Orange Jelly or maple syrup
Whisk the eggs, cream and vanilla seeds together and pour into a flat dish.
Combine the caster sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Place a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and melt a tablespoon of clarified butter.
Dip a slice of wood-fired bread into the egg mixture and let it soak for a minute or two. Make sure it doesn’t get too soggy and fall apart.
Dust on both sides with the cinnamon sugar. Place the bread into the heated pan and fry on both sides until golden brown. Remove and set aside in a warm place. Repeat with the rest of the bread, egg mixture and clarified butter.
Combine the sliced strawberries with the mint (if using) in a serving bowl.To serve, place two slices of French toast onto each plate and drizzle with Bitton Orange Jelly or maple syrup.